Smelling the aroma of percolating coffee is enough to get anyone out of bed but did you know that there are many benefits to your regular cup of Joe than just perking you up in the morning? Coffee is one of the most popular drinks of today as it helps energize people to do their daily tasks. A cup of coffee in the morning not only gives you the energy boost you need but it also gives you other health benefits as well. Here are a few examples of what you can get out of your morning cup of coffee.
- Reduces depression. Drinking coffee can reduce depression as caffeine can help activate neurotransmitters in the brain that control a person’s mood including serotonin and dopamine.
- Reduces the chances of developing diabetes. A cup of coffee every day is said to reduce your risk of acquiring type 2 diabetes as the components of coffee help in protecting cells that produce insulin which in turn helps in regulating your blood sugar. Coffee can also help reduce inflammation which is a risk factor for type 2 diabetes.
- Coffee is good for the heart. Studies have shown that those who consume 2 to 4 cups of coffee daily are less likely to develop heart problems because, as stated before, coffee can help reduce inflammation. Drinking coffee provides protection to the arteries by reducing inflammation.
- Reduces risk of certain cancers. Men who often drink coffee are less likely to develop aggressive prostate cancer. Women who drink more than four cups of coffee on a daily basis reduce their risk of endometrial cancer.
- Caffeine boosts short-term memory. Caffeine is found to help improve a person’s memory as it targets certain areas of the brain which are responsible for concentration and memory. Drinking a cup of coffee can be a good way to increase your brain’s response time as well as memorization.
- Coffee contains antioxidants. Antioxidants found in coffee beans can help reduce inflammation, one of the many underlying causes of numerous chronic conditions such as atherosclerosis, arthritis, and several types of cancer. They also help get rid of free radicals that are harmful to the body. The antioxidants found in coffee helps in keeping you healthy by protecting cells in the body from suffering from any damage.
- Coffee can boost exercise performance. A lot of people assume that drinking coffee can affect their performance when exercising. However, studies show that drinking coffee moderately can actually help improve performance because it helps fight off fatigue which in turn lets you work out longer.
Drinking coffee does have its perks as mentioned above. However, as with any other types of drink, you need to moderate your consumption of coffee as having too much of it can have its own disadvantages. It is best that you regulate your coffee consumption if you want to get the most out of it. Drinking more than 5 cups daily may cause health problems for you in the long run.